Thursday, April 30, 2009

One-Third of the Year Behind Us

There really isn't anything going on in the market that I'm in love with so I've got no trades planned at the moment. It seemed like the perfect time to stop and reflect on what has been a great 4 months for our trading accounts (presuming you've been following the trades suggested here). Through April, we are up 4,334 pips. That is better than I would have thought we'd do if you'd have asked me on January 1. But it highlights an issue I think we should discuss. Namely, the issue of losses. The run up in the first four months of the year has been wonderful, but it is unreasonable to expect that it will continue unabated. I do not have a crystal ball which tells me only which trades will win. If we continue to trade together through the year, it is inevitable that we will have a few big losers. That is just part of trading and something that every profitable trader must learn to deal with. I suggest preparing for it by reading Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas. It is an easy read an will help you prepare for what is inevitable if you trade enough. We will be profitable at the end of the year, and I believe, based on my experience trading the methods we trade here, that our profit curve will not decrease significantly, but there will be losing trades. Best we prepare before hand.

Happy Trading!