Monday, May 12, 2008

The Luxury of Purpose

One of the interesting, and unexpected things about having more money than you thought you would ever have is that you find that you have the luxury of trying to figure out what you really want to be. That might sound strange, but think about it. When you are working your assets off to improve your position, when your every waking thought is how to move forward, when you spend all of your energy to rise through the next barrier, and suddenly that level of effort is no longer required. What do you do then? Its a problem that I'm sure everyone would like to have (thus the term "luxury"). But its a problem that is not so easily solved. Everyone has heard of lottery winners who go off the deep end and become the type of person no one would have believed before they won. Its a real issue.

The issue for me is what to do with the rest of my life. I have created a trading system through which I can enjoy a very nice standard of living without working. However, I enjoy my job and am not ready to give it up, which is lucrative and adds depth to my resource pool. I use those funds to continue to increase my trading business, which, in turn, increases my income. I don't need more money, yet I pursue it. Why and for what? Is the pursuit of an ever increasing bank account an end unto itself? Or is there more, a reason to continue to grow my funds, a purpose, if you will, for the existence of the venture? I have puzzled over this for quite a while and I have no concrete answers. I think, in my case, I failed to see that this point would come and I was not prepared for it. Had I begun the search for purpose before I needed to, when the struggle was the purpose, then I might be doing something more meaningful than merely creating more wealth for myself and my family.

The search for purpose is a luxury affordable only to those who have satisfied the basic needs of themselves and those for whom they care. One cannot spend time and energy looking for fulfillment when food must be found and shelter is in question. Purpose at its most basic is finding the necessities of life. Only when one is secure from that need can he look for some deeper meaning. I will continue to try and puzzle this out. I hope to find the thing to devote myself to that will give me the satisfaction of a kind that has, up until now, eluded me. I advise you to start the soul searching early in your life, or if it is too late to start early, then don't put it off any longer. Know what you will do when you can do anything. You will be the better for it.

Good Trading!